Consider this (simplified it a little bit). I have 2 solutions. Both contain a specific project (say in d:\somewhere\Solution1 and d:\somewhere\Solution2). These solution both use a shared C# project, stored in say d:\csharp\CSharpSolution). This same project is used in a few other solutions as well (like Add/existing project.
Now when I would select File/Add to Source Control in VS, I get the following message:
Source Control - Git The current solution has projects that are located outside the solution folder. These projects will not be source controlled in the Git repository. To add all the projects to a single Git repository please consolidate all projects under a single folder.
This sounds insane to me. It would mean that I would need to make local copies of the C# library in each solution using it! Suppose I have 6 of such solutions and I change the C# code in one of them, I have to manually make changes in the 5 other copies.
I would want to organize it such that I an edit code of that "external" project from any of the solutions and be able to commit changes. Probably this: create a new solution containing only this "external" project with a separate repository. But I am not sure if that allows me to commit changes from the other solutions when I edit something in that project from there.
Any recommendations how to solve this without moving the external project to the solution directory?
Dick