The confluence editor has a lot of bugs.
I make a word on the left bold and the whole line goes bold. Or I make a word on the right bold and the whole line goes regular. But sometimes either of these works.
I put in a line break and when I save, it turns into a new paragraph.
Or I delete the line before my 2-line paragraph and the line break between the two lines turns into a paragraph.
I'm making a roster of people in the group that I'm working with remotely. I want the first words, the title, to be bold, and then some non-bold text about what the details of what they do. On the next line, with no added whitespace (hence the line break), I want their name in bold, magenta, followed by non-bold phone number and email address. On the next line, I add free text, non-bold.
I finally got it working for most. The last paragraph, though, looks fine when I edit, but when I save, the magenta of the middle line disappears and it's black.
Atlassian: Don't do automatic formatting. It's a curse in Word - don't emulate it.
And if you want a bug filed about this, file it yourself. I've wasted enough time on this.
I'm on a Mac, OS 10.12.6, using Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build)