Hey,
We recently have decided to fork several of our repos since one team (Team A) is heading in one direction and another team (Team
is heading in a different direction.
So we are going to leave team A using the original repo (Repo A) and create a fork of it called Repo B for Team B. So far this is simple but we want Team B to be able to get updates from Repo A and push them into Repo B.
Ideally what we would want would be to grab Master from Repo A and merge it into a Feature Branch in Repo B so we could test the changes before they make there way for master. (Master in Repo B would also continue to have its own updates that were never part of Repo A).
What would the easiest way to do this be? It looks like in stash I can do pull requests from Repo A Master to Any Branch in Repo B. But would this continue to work from 30, 60, 90 days? I know the more regular the merges are from A -> B the easier they would be.
But here is an example: 30 days from the fork, Repo A has had 100 new commits on master and Repo B has had 50 new commits on Master and I want to get the 100 from Repo A onto a update branch in Repo B. I would create the pull request but I assume I would get merge conflicts, so how I would go about merging it then since its cross repo? (I'm new to pull requests)
EDIT: Thinking about this, I could create a master-a branch in the B Repo that I could keep doing regular pull requests from Repo A master -> Repo B master-a which should never have conflicts since I'd lock it to read only except for those pull requests. Then I could just merge master-a in Repo B to my update branch and I'd be on my way. Would that work?