I'm currently setting up a project (in JIRA Software, 7.7 ) that manages the initial conversion of an inventory of almost 200 Crystal Enterprise reports to Jasper Reports, and then manages the ongoing maintenance of the reports.
For maintenance purposes each report should be able to track new feature/change requests, bugs, and document updates/reviews, and will be annually reviewed for updates or removal from the inventory.
Where I'm having the problem is picking a strategy to best set this project up in Jira. Should each report be a Project, and all of the relevant issues apply for each report (which seems excessive), and use an Epic to tie them all together? Should I use Components to sort of sub-project each report under one Project (which seems like it might require more manual effort assign the appropriate Component to the Issue). My fear is that I might miss out on reporting or other functionality, or have to make massive changes to the project later if I get the setup wrong now.
I've used OpenProject in the past for a similar project, and it had a 'master' Project that has Sub-projects for each report. I found a plugin that adds sub-projects, but I'd rather use the default install if possible. I've become the defacto Jira Admin, but my experience is over 5 years old with Jira, and was on a straightforward, beginning-to-end software project.
After spending significant time on this board (and others) I'm not seeing a clear path to what I'm attempting to do. Any help or pointers to examples would be greatly appreciated!