I currently have Confluence server installed on a Linux VPS but I want to install it locally on my Mac to lower costs. Is this even possible? According to the documentation I can't find anything on this.
Hello Marc,
It is possible to install Confluence on a mac, but only for evaluation purposes. You can't run your production on it, as outlined in Supported Platforms page.
If you want to proceed with evaluation, you can follow Installing Confluence on Linux from Archive File guide
Regards,
Igor
Hi Marc,
My two cents:
I hope this works as well for you as it does for me.
Cheers,
Ann
Hi Igor,
First of all, WOW, that’s an insanely fast reply :-)
I’ve been running Confluence on a VPS Linux server for almost a year now do I don’t need to evaluate it. I just want to cut costs for now and remove the VPS as I mostly use Confluence for myself right now to generate Wiki pages which I then send to my customers (without the collaberation bit).
That’s why I was looking to install it on my Macbook. But if I understand you correctly, this isn’t possible and I am left with the choice of keeping my VPS (with additional costs), switching to Cloud Confluence or setting up a Linux or Windows machine at home to install Confluence Server on right? Would it be possible to use Windows emulation software on my Mac to keep using it or is there another way?
Hey @Marc Maessen,
Sorry that this reply came late
I did not say it's not possible, merely it's not supported, this means we can't guarantee stability or performance due to unpredictable OS related behavior. So it will still work and you can install and you should have no issues with using it this way for personal needs, but if you encounter technical issues, you may have to switch to something that is supported. So go ahead, install and test the stability, i have multiple instances running for testing purposes on my mac without any issues.
For emulation, I don't think it will work too well either, you may as well just install it directly on mac, would be more stable. alternative setup, is to use a docker container, if you are familiar with that, you can find more details here Official Confluence Server image. Our support team will be able to assist you with any confluence related problems you would encounter when running on docker, but you would have to be confident in managing docker portion of setup yourself.
Hope this helps
I did the following after downloading the atlassian-confluence-6.10.0-x64.bin file
:
1 - chmod a+x atlassian-confluence-6.10.0-x64.bin
2 - sudo ./atlassian-confluence-6.10.0-x64.bin
On my Mac in Terminal I get the following error message after step 2:
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...
./atlassian-confluence-6.10.0-x64.bin: line 574: /Users/marcmaessen/Downloads/atlassian-confluence-6.10.0-x64.bin.9747.dir/jre/bin/java: cannot execute binary file
I must be doing something wrong here which is probably blatantly simple, but I can't see it...
Any ideas?
You could also investigate using Docker, whilst Docker for MacOS isn't the best implementation, this could work for your use case. A command such as the below would work:
docker run --restart=unless-stopped -v $HOSTPATH:/var/atlassian/application-data/confluence --name="confluence" -d -p 8090:8090 -p 8091:8091 atlassian/confluence-server
You can find more on the this quick start here, and more about docker for Mac here.You'll need docker installed, and the use of a Volume ( the -v command ) to enable data persistence. You can optionally change the tag in the command if you need a specific version such as "docker pull atlassian/confluence-server:latest"
Many, MANY thanks for all the effort and the detailed replies Igor, Max AND Ann (just wow !!)I don't have a lot of time the next few days, but I will try all your amazingly detailed suggestions and will keep you posted on my progress. It'll probably be sometime halfway through next week until I've had the time to try everything out (unless the first attempt is directly successful).Many thanks again thusfar in any case !!!
Hi Ann,It's been a while and it took some trial and error to get there, but I managed to do every step you mentioned up until step 6. When I try to start Confluence I get the following message:---------------------
To run Confluence in the foreground, start the server with start-confluence.sh -fg
executing as current user
If you encounter issues starting up Confluence, please see the Installation guide at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Installation+Guide
Server startup logs are located in /Users/Confluence/Documents/atlassian-confluence-6.10.1/logs/catalina.out
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Java: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java
2018-08-08 13:43:45,792 INFO [main] [atlassian.confluence.bootstrap.SynchronyProxyWatchdog] A Context element for ${confluence.context.path}/synchrony-proxy is found in /Users/Confluence/Documents/atlassian-confluence-6.10.1/conf/server.xml. No further action is required
Using CATALINA_BASE: /Users/Confluence/Documents/atlassian-confluence-6.10.1
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Users/Confluence/Documents/atlassian-confluence-6.10.1
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Users/Confluence/Documents/atlassian-confluence-6.10.1/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home
Using CLASSPATH: /Users/Confluence/Documents/atlassian-confluence-6.10.1/bin/bootstrap.jar:/Users/Confluence/Documents/atlassian-confluence-6.10.1/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /Users/Confluence/Documents/atlassian-confluence-6.10.1/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.---------------After this, when I try to open the setup wizard at Localhost:4380 (an open port which I edited in the server.xml file) it just keeps loading, nothing happens and no setup wizard launches.Any thoughts where to look next?
removed comment, solved due to incorrect java version
Removed comment, problem solved due to incorrect java version
.
@Marc Maessen you are very welcome!
Could you mark answers as "Accepted" solutions so that others who come across this thread will know that issue got resolved?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.