Hello all!
I am following the instructions here, as they are pretty much the operation(s) that I need to perform as I am wanting to split out part of an existing repository into another repository.
Per the above link, I have cloned the original repository into a new directory name, removed the origin and put together the 'git filter-branch' command to contain all of the directories in the current repository that I do not need. When I run the command, I get the following:
$ git filter-branch --index-filter 'git rm --cached -r ansible AWS git-files named-config puppet rpm-spec sbin tftpboot var' -- --all
Rewrite 89840b3a5dbef0f2cecd6cb5d3b5dccdbf3939c7 (1/3387) (0 seconds passed, remaining 0 predicted) fatal: pathspec 'ansible' did not match any files
index filter failed: git rm --cached -r ansible AWS git-files named-config puppet rpm-spec sbin tftpboot var
The names that I listed after the '-r' are the names of the directories, and they actually exist in the directory where I am. Mind you, this is a repository that I just finished converting from SVN to Git and this is a fresh clone of the repo after the conversion and commit.
Is there something I am missing? Due to my conversion is there something I need to do first? I greatly appreciate any help that you can provide.