I have a project that I'd like to break up into sub-projects. Is this possible in JIRA?
Not really. A project is pretty much the fundamental unit for groups of issues. You can use categories to do some division work (these work in filters, so you can say "category = X" and find several cross-project issues)
If you need something more detailed, have a look at the structure plugin - it's aimed more at issues, but seems to solve all the "project of project" problems that can't be done with simple categories too.
We have added sub-projects support to our "Component/Bundle/Subcomponent Version" add-on. It allows JIRA administrators to create hierarchy of projects using either virtual or real projects and adds a subproject picker to issue create screen. You can query issues belonging any level inside the hierarchy using "project in subprojectsOf()" JQL function. Please check user manual for more details.
jira-subprojects-selection-dialog.png
It dosen't. But you can use "components" field as subprojects. In components we have entered all out subprojects and made that mandatory field for that specific project while creating an issue. Once this is done, its easy to create filters based on componends and feed them to the widgets onto your dashboard.
Hi,
I tried checking this and edit the components field in a story in order to categorize the story into a sub-project but i am not able to edit the component field. Is this becasue i do no have the necessary permissions or because i first need to install a plugin?
Have you (as a project admin) added any components to the project yet?
Yes.
Hi I am also interested in this and have a question. If I use this to create a sub project, am I able to assign a separate workflow to that? Thank you
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.