Can We have Jira Software with only Jira Core license.?
If yes, can we still use the data center ?
No, and no.
Jira Core provides a platform for other applications and apps.
Jira Software and Service Desk are a applications that add functions on top of Jira Core. If you want to use Jira Software, you have to have Jira Software licences for it. Same for SD - you need SD licences for it. In both cases, the licences for the application include access to Core, so you don't need a separate Core licence for each user. It is common to see Jira systems that have only Software licences and no Core at all.
Data Centre is a different licencing scheme, but still has the distinction between Core, Software and Service Desk.
Thanks Nic. Seems I got confused with its documentation.
But then how many users Jira Core can support. I am looking for around 15k users . How will it scale?
You can support unlimited users on Jira Server (Core/Software/Service Desk), but for 15k users, you are going to want to look at the higher end of the server hardware ranges. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html
Hi, this answer doesn't really help me at all. The website says Jira Core is for project management, while Jira Software is for software development project management. So I signed up for both, but when I click the application switcher (pic 1) and click Jira Core, it just keeps taking me back to Jira Software (pic 2). As you can see (pic 3), my account has access to both.
What is the purpose of paying another $10 for Core and how do I even get to it? This process could not be more confusing!
On top of that, this image uploader is even difficult to use and figure out... I keep clicking Insert but it never uploads the images. It doesn't seem to work properly under Chrome.
Had to switch to Edge browser to even get image uploader to work!
Thanks again, Nic. This all sounds well and good at a high level, but I'm still unclear what each piece actually looks like in practice (I am the admin).
So if I click New Project, I get 2 options - Classic Project or Next-Gen Project. For each, I get a choice of a default template, or to Change Template. If I choose Classic, then Change Template, I get a choice of 14 different templates. If I choose Next-Gen, I get only Kanban or Scrum as choices. "Classic" makes it sounds like it's going away at some point, and that is the old way of doing things.
So to put it another way, which of these templates would appear if I was only on Core, both for Classic and Next-Gen?
Classic:
You are offered "next gen" because you have Software. "Classic" does indeed imply project types will be going away, replaced by "next gen", but this is quite a long way off at the moment, and only applies to the classic Scrum and Kanban at the moment (I'd expect the offer of "classic" to vanish, and scrum/kanban next-gen replace the two scrum/kanban you see in the list there). The non scrum/kanban types are from Core.
Still confused. If next-gen is only for Scrum and Kanban, then that means my Core users would only be able to create things under Classic?
So for non-software development related projects (Core), which templates should I advise my users to use? Only the "Classic" templates such as Project Management, which don't have any next-gen counterparts yet?
(Also any idea why Task Tracking and Project Management show up twice?)
My prose has let me down today. I've written a couple of really badly structured answers and this was one of them, and included something that was so bad, it was wrong. I apologise.
I'll try again, guided by your questions.
Both Core and Software users can use (create issues for example) in any project, assuming the right permissions.
Core users will not be able to use the boards that the Classic Scrum and Kanban projects come with, and nor will they be able to use Next-gen projects properly (as those are more heavily board driven)
Even if you only have licences for Software, you will still be able to create and use "Business" project types, which are all the types of project you see under "classic" except Kanban and Scrum (but as you've got Software licences, you'll still see those two on the create list too, until Atlassian replace them fully with their Next-gen counterparts)
Not sure why task tracking and project management appear twice. If you start using one of them, does it ask you the same questions as its duplicate?
Hi Nic ,
We currently have a JIRA Core License for version 6.4.13 Jira.
Now , we are upgrading to Jira 7.0.11 which would need a software license , do I need to request Atlassian separately for that ?
Also , after upgrading I can see JIRA Core and JIRA Software both on the "Versions & Licenses" page. I believe there should be only one , can you please advise here.
Thanks,
Ajinkya
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.