I'm waiting on another team to give me info on a sub-task.
Should I change it to an issue or does it become a new story?
Depends on the information they add to it - does that change it from something that's part of the main issue to a story in its own right?
@Rajesh Ravisankar you may also find these definitions useful.
@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- has also tackled the question of when to employ a sub-task
The definition of a story and a task has boundaries blurred in JIRA.
So if I have to understand, it is the same.
Is that a true statement to make?
Possibly.
Jira Software has three layers - Epic, Issue and sub-task. Stories are the focus of Agile, and are done at the Issue level, but actually, Jira doesn't care what you call them, or if you have different types. You could define issue types of Story, Issue, Thing, Penguin and Clock at the issue level. They're all treated as stories. There's no blurring, other than having different names.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.