THE SETUP:
I have two servers one with hipchat and the other with JIRA each have their own external ips and are accessible from the web.
The JIRA server is on centos 6.5 and has the following open ports 22, 80, 443, 5222, 5223. It is not on an ssl at the moment. http://jira.myserver.com
the Hipchat server is a standard ova install, with a comodo wildcard ssl. https://chat.myserver.com
for troubleshooting I am allowing all ports through our firewall for both servers
THE PROBLEMS:
trying to connect hipchat to the JIRA directory I get the following error
Connection test failed. Response from the server:
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?
When whitelisting the hipchat server in jira, it accepts the url and adds it to the whitelist without problem
however when adding hipchat through "hipchat integration" is says We couldn't reach your server
is all this because they both need ssl?
OBTW
Ideally I would like the hipchat server available from the web and the JIRA server only on the lan but still have integration, is this possible?
many thanks