If I install Stash on a server and if I want to maintain my exisiting git repo on the server it is currently hosted, can Stash be able to access and manage it?
I do not want to change the remote on the exisiting repositories.
Hi Safir,
Unfortunately not. Git has it's own internal repository directory where it manages things. Stash also needs to be able to intercept all calls to the Git repository to handle access management, support branch permissions and pull requests etc.
By 'changing remote' do you mean having to tell users of that repository to update their local git config? Or something else? Apologies if I've misunderstood the question.
Cheers,
Charles
Hey Charles,
Your understanding is correct. I was trying to get away from a) having to migrate the source from one server to another b) to make the switch seamless to the end user (no local git config change).
- Safir
If you're making the leap to Stash them there really isn't a way to avoid that, unless the current Git URLs just happens to match what Stash is running under, which is unlikely.
If users are primarily using HTTP you _could_ proxy Stash with Apache (which you might be doing anyway) and create some temporary URL rewrites. I wouldn't personally suggest that, but it is an option.
Users only need to run 'git remote set-url origin http://stash/url/to/repo.git', once which I don't think is too painful?
Hmm...We have 100+ repos and was thinking of potential impact. We have jobs that run based off these repos as well. My intention is to keep the exisiting git repo untouched. But seems like it is not possible based on your comments.
I am also looking at using Stash as just a webbased viewer that will feed off from our exisiting git server. I was thinking if this could be done in the background with a softlink or something...
you should vote for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-2714
in there, there are several workarounds / plugin solutions announced.
w.g.
You might have a look at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.englishtown.stash-hook-mirror or https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.kostmo.stash.mirror-manager
Didn't tested any yet but sounds good
unwillingly you'll get into troubles. You users will clone and work on stash and someone has to push it back where it comes from - if any plugin is not solving this
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.