Updated to the latest version today and crashed on first open. Had been working fine before that. Tried redownloading, but still crashes on startup. Displays for about half a second then crashes.
Any ideas?
I have no fix for this - I have the same problem. Sourcetree auto-updated and then crashes within a half second or so of opening on a Mac, every time. Deleted the app (clean my mac uninstall), rebooted, re-installed fresh - same problem. Cannot use as it stands right now, is really frustrating unfortunately. Running Mac High Sierra 10.13.4.
Not sure if it helps, but I just noticed an instance of sourcetree still in my download folder. Deleted that and all other sourcetree downloaded zips files, emptied trash, re-downloaded latest version, and now it works.
So, problem solved for me. Hope that helps you in some way.
Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately, I'd already done that a couple times and its made no difference for me. I'll keep poking around.
Dead in the water too ... same issue as described.
Something bad in ~/Library/Application\ Support/SourceTree/ moved the folder away and SourceTree.app doesn't crash (its also completely empty)
Thanks Jason. I just posted about this in another thread (which somehow got deleted - bad day I guess). I deleted the support files and SourceTree 2.7.4 launches finally. For reference, I just updated to Mac OS 10.13.5 today. Not clear where the corruption originated.
Looks like a problem with the browser.plist file. Old one causes crash. A newly generated does not. The old one just has some additional <key> tags and path to my local repo. In any case, that's the culprit. I'll let someone else dig deeper.
Thanks, this fix worked for me. Specifically, I deleted the following three files:
browser.plisthgrc_sourcetreeopenWindowList
Afterwards, Sourcetree started normally, and was empty. I simply re-added my local repos.
UPDATE: I found that I could add two or three "recent" repos successfully, but when I added a repo of an "older" project, the crash started happening again. I ended up nuking the whole Application Support/SourceTree directory, and manually re-added the repos again. So far so good...
Also had this problem starting this morning.
MacOS 10.12.2. I notice just before it started happening I was getting a notification to upgrade Sourcetree
Same problem for me. Really frustrating.
I used Mike Perry's fix above but it's really annoying to now have to clone every repo all over again. I'm on High Sierra 10.13.4.
Actually the fix only helped launch Sourcetree once. As soon as I cloned a repo it now crashes again on startup.
I had to trash the entire Library/Application Support/SourceTree folder, let Sourcetree try to create new files and then dragged my sourcetree.license folder back in there. Then relog into account and start cloning repos individually and so far it's working. What a pain.
Same here. Ridiculous.
3 bugs were raised on SRCTREE Jira today for essentially the same issue. Suggest you chime in on SRCTREE-5770 with your crash log.
I've successfully reverted to version 2.3.2 - you may be able to do this without needing to re-clone your repos.
I'm having a nightmare with Sourcetree today. Updated to macOS 10.13.5 and now Sourcetree keeps crashing. I have rolled back as far as v 2.6.3 and it's still doing it. It seems to be related to browser.plist because it runs until I start adding local repos.
It is now completely unusable as it crashes every time it starts up unless I delete browser.plist.
[UPDATE] Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I switched from using the embedded git to system git, added my old browser.plist back and it seems to be working for now (2.6.3). Haven't tried putting the latest Sourcetree in place yet.
[UPDATE2] Removed 2.6.3 and put in 2.7.4c and it crashes on startup. Put 2.6.3 back and it seems to be working.
So, worth trying binning your Sourcetree 2.7, binning your ~/Library/Application Support/Sourcetree folder, putting 2.6.3a back, running it and then adding back your backed up browser.plist file and re-adding any connected accounts and switching from embedded git to system git.
I was already using system git.
I updated to 2.7.4 (175) and renamed the Library/Application Support/SourceTree folder (just so I have a copy) then restarted SourceTree.
Had it scan my local folders and all repos were re-added.
Seems to be working, for now.
Of course a PROPER fix would be better.
That didn't work for me. Even scanning the folders caused it to crash.
Oh, for goodness sake, having been running for about 30 mins, it now crashes again on startup despite me not having done anything with it! This is v 2.6.3. This is now REALLY annoying.
Hmmm, if I remove the hostingservices_new.plist file, then it works. But then I have no linked accounts. Sigh.
Working ok, have done branches and commits.
If you're not running the latest version - 2.7.4 (175) - then if you *do* get it running again, the update notification will trash it.
Well, that's my guess, anyway.
I'm going to make a note outside replying to my own comment because it may be valuable enough for others to see.
For me there are crashes if bookmarks are created at all.
If I remove browser.plist then Sourcetree opens without crashing. I can then manually open a local repo from my drive and make commits without crashing.
If I then create bookmarks for the open repositories, Sourcetree immediately crashes.
So there's something going on with browser.plist
I've now done it multiple times with same result. Removing browser.plist keeps it from crashing as long as you don't let it create browser.plist again (by cancelling when it asks if you want to create a bookmark).
Have a look here:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/Sourcetree-crashes-on-start-after-adding-a-new-repository/qaq-p/814532
The Atlassian Team is investigating this.
Thanks – the problem they're describing doesn't quite seem to be what we're describing so I've cross-referenced our thread here with theirs so they can hopefully check into this at the same time.
I also have an open support ticket with them where I've been describing all the notes I've added here.
Bug report SRCTREE-5769 is a duplicate of this and it is now resolved. There is an update to 2.7.5 that appears to fix the issue.
I put my original SourceTree folder that I had removed from Application Supports to try and resolve this and now SourceTree 2.7.5 opens without crashing and all of my bookmarks are back in the Repository Browser, Yay!
Well, I spent too much time chasing my tail on this, when it turns out it was the icons that was causing the problem. Version 2.7.5 seems to have fixed it.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.