I am a keyboard lover and I can usually move around without the use of the mouse. However, this JIRA quirk has plagued me for a long time.
I am using JIRA Server v7.9.2. Ever since I first installed Server (early 7.x), whenever my insertion point (cursor) is in a JIRA form field and I switch away, to check something maybe, the focus on that form field goes away and I have to mouse-click on the field to regain its input focus. This occurs in both Firefox and Chrome, latest versions as of this date.
Sorry, correction: I just noticed that the problem only occurs when I switch away by invoking a separate window via the keyboard. I use a launcher application that is available from a global keyboard shortcut but I believe anyone using Windows can reproduce the problem by opening Windows Task Manager via Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This problem does not occur on other websites. For instance, while typing this new question into Atlassian Community, the problem does not occur.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Create/edit a ticket in JIRA Server (or perhaps JIRA Cloud?)
2. Place your insertion point in any text field.
3. Use the keyboard to open Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
4. Use the keyboard to return to the JIRA ticket (either close TM via Alt+F4 or switch back via Alt+Tab).
Notice that the focus on the text field that previously had the insertion point is now gone and you must click on the field to regain the input focus. Or is it just me?