OS: Centos 7
Objective:
Current jira instance: <Server IP addr>:8099
Need to go to hostname: jira.companyname.com
Things I did: According to link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/proxying-atlassian-server-applications-with-apache-http-server-mod_proxy_http-806032611.html
A. For atlassian application:
1. Stopped JIRA
2. Not using context path so ignored
3. For connector directive, In server.xml, added
proxyName=<span>"jira.companyname.com"</span>
proxyPort=<span>"8099"</span>
scheme=<span>"http"</span>/>
B. For Apache HTTP server
1. mod_proxy enabled by default in Centos.
2. Configure virtual host using mod_proxy,
Since includeOptional statement present in httpd.conf, In conf.d folder created an jira-vm.conf file with following.
<span><VirtualHost *:80></span>
<span>ServerName</span> jira.companyname.com
<span>ProxyRequests</span> <span>Off</span>
<span>ProxyVia</span> <span>Off</span><br> ProxyPreserveHost <span>On</span>
<span><Proxy *></span>
<span>Require</span> <span>all</span> granted
<span></Proxy></span>
<span>ProxyPass</span> / http://<ip addr>:8099
<span>ProxyPassReverse</span> / http://<ip addr>:8099
<span></VirtualHost></span> 3. Restart apache
systemctl restart httpd.service
4. Modify CentOS SELinux policy
<span>$</span><span> sudo /usr/sbin/setsebool -P httpd_can_network_connect 1</span>
C. Restart JIRA.
Result:
I dont see any response on jira.company.com
On ipaddr:8099 I see my jira instance with error:
"
Dashboard Diagnostics: Mismatched URL Hostname
JIRA is reporting that it is running on the hostname 'jira.clarionus.com', which does not match the hostname used to run these diagnostics, '<ip addr>'. This is known to cause JIRA to construct URLs using the incorrect hostname, which will result in errors in the dashboard, among other issues."
Server.xml snippet:
<Connector port="8099"
maxThreads="150"
minSpareThreads="25"
connectionTimeout="20000"
enableLookups="false"
maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
protocol="HTTP/1.1"
useBodyEncodingForURI="true"
redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="100"
disableUploadTimeout="true"
bindOnInit="false"
proxyName="jira.company.com"
proxyPort="80"
scheme="http"/>
Things I have tried:
1. Restarted Jira after changing XML proxyPort to 8099 instead of 80. Result: same error. Reverted back to 80.
2. Checked if conf file is case sensitive with On and Off. Result: same error.
3. Atlassian won't help as our support expired last month. 
What other areas should I look into?
Thank you for your time
Edit: For Solution, See my post towards the end summarizing the issues I faced.