I currently use Atlassian/BitBucket on a linux server, but use a Windows pc for my code editing etc.. of my cloned branches. Can I use Tortoise Git for windows with my linux repo in bitbucket and if so how do I set it up?
Hi @Mark,
It doesn't matter what operating system Bitbucket Server is run on.
How you set it up depends on whether you already have code on Bitbucket, or whether your code is local and you want to put it onto Bitbucket.
If your code is already on Bitbucket, then you simply click the 'clone' button in the sidebar (the first button under the project icon) to get the clone URL (see the Bitbucket documentation on how to clone a repository for more details). Once you have copied the clone URL, you can give it to Tortoise Git as the 'URL' field (see the TortoiseGit documentation on how to clone a repository for more details)
If your code is already local, then you will need to create a repository in Bitbucket. After that you can go to the TortoiseGit settings to change/set the remote of your local repo to the clone url of the repo you just created and push your code up to Bitbucket.
Hope that helps,
Kristy
Hi Kristy,
My initial problem is that TortoiseGit is wants me to configure the path to a Git.exe, which as far as I can tell I don't have since it's hosted on Linux and not windows. It will not let me do anything else until I give it a valid path to the exe.
A little background. We already have a Git repo that we are using on a linux server (Work stations are Windows 7) and have recently purchased Atlassian and migrated the repo to work with Bitbucket. Everything seems to work fine with the exception of getting TortoiseGit integrated due to the path issue mentioned above.
TortoiseGit is not asking about the host server's git executable - it's asking about the git executable on the client system where you're installing TortoiseGit.
I'll check with the Admin, we may not have the right installer because when you install it on the client machine it doesn't install a "git.exe"
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.