Our company has two different business groups considering Jira Software on-prem. The usage models between these groups will be quite different, and we expect that each group will want to do its own customizations without impacting the other group and will want its members to see only the relevant data for that group.
Examples of customizations that could be needed: workflows, forms, list views, dashboards, custom fields, custom naming of entities such as Story or Sprint. Mostly stuff that relates to process; as far as cosmetic changes such as CSS, I don't think those will be required.
I am used to using TeamForge, where most of these changes are scoped to the project level, and you can create a site template to replicate them or, in some cases, copy the structure of an object from one project to another. This is not an ideal model, but at least it's straightforward.
So the simple question is: how are customizations scoped in Jira? At what point must two groups decide they are going to need separate Jira instances? I have had trouble finding a description of this in the online docs. I'd appreciate any pointers to a good source of this info.