I'd like to know all the ways Bitbucket Server treats the various branch types in a branching model. This is to determine the best way to integrate these into our workflow here.
Here's what I've found so far:
- Jira can create branches from a ticket based on the ticket type, and which branch types are enabled for the repository. [ref]
- Automatic branch merging makes use of release, production and the dev branch types. [ref]
Are there any others?
Also, it's not clear from the Automatic Branch Merging doc the exact algorithm in terms of the difference between release and production branches. If both are enabled, are they independent, or is it something like the following? :
- [If enabled: Release branches with versions being cascade merged] > [Production branch, if enabled] > [Development branch, if enabled]
And does Production branches have the same version cascade? If so, are the release and production branches interleaved? Eg: release/4.3.2 -> production/4.3.2 -> release/4.3.3 -> production/4.3.3... or the other way around ?
I thank you for any information you (yes, you, reader!) can provide!