The method used to change a custom field type from single to multi line doesn't seem to work in Jira 7. (tried in jira 7.2 and 7.7). Anyone know what the problem could be?
Here's what I did:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-custom-field-types-in-jira-158357.html?_ga=2.22600379.1435687155.1525088955-1375983188.1500658785
Steps to reproduce:
UPDATE customfield SET CUSTOMFIELDTYPEKEY='com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:textarea', CUSTOMFIELDSEARCHERKEY='com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:textsearcher' where cfname='Text Field';
Expected Results:
Actual Results:
Ok, so I ended up fixing my issue by setting the STRINGVALUE from the single-line field to TEXTVALUE used in the textarea
update customfieldvalueset TEXTVALUE = STRINGVALUEwhere customfield = [customfieldID]and TEXTVALUE is null;
I cleared the internal cache and it worked out fine. It's easily reversible in any case.
Thanks for your input
I usually advise users to NEVER touch Jira DB.
That said, if I had to do something like this, I'd create a new multi-line text field and then use a groovy script to copy the value from the old field to the new one in all required issues. After that's done, I'd simply delete the old field.
The same approach can be used to update all saved filters if needed.
We do touch the DB all the time. It's safe enough when you know what you're doing, and since that change comes from Atlassian's KB, it should be working. It works fine on jira 6.
The thing is, we can't delete the old field, since it's used in automated tools. If its ID changes, we'd need a lot of people to reconfigure some of their tools, which we'd really want to avoid.
It really seems like a bug, but I was wondering if it could be worked around.
So you're taking Jira offline "all the time"?
That change does indeed work for 6, but the latest version doesn't support it due to changes in the way text fields are being held.
Hi Nic,
Thanks for the answer. And no, we don't take JIRA offline all the time, we clear the cache
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.