Hello,
In our JIRA system we have 3 directories for user authentication: the JIRA internal directory (for non-real users), and 2 active directories for real users depending on if the user is a private or public sector worker.
One of the administrators has come up with the idea that we can nest groups, and with the correct hierarchical structure, would only need to put users in one group according to their roll.
However, our tests have returned confusing results:
- I started off by creating Group 1, Group 2, and Group 3. Then I made Group 2 a subgroup of Group 1, and Group 3 a subgroup if Group 2.
- It would appear the groups are created in the directory at the top of the directory list. (Can anybody confirm this?)
- If I added a user who was defined in the top directory to Group 2, their groups were Group 1 and Group 2.
- If I added a user who was defined in the top directory to Group 3, their groups were Group 1, Group 2, and Group 3.
- However, if I made a user who was defined in the other directories to Group 2 or Group 3, they only got that group.
Is this normal behaviour? Have I missed off a setting so that it does not matter in which directory the users are defined?
Thanks for any explanation you are able to give.