When viewing an Epic (https://jira.foo.com/browse/FOO-22) there is a list of linked issues "Issues in Epic". The list is ordered by Global Rank in descending order. I would like the list in ascending order, as nature intended. How can I configure this?
Add the Rank column to the issue navigator and change the Sort Order. But I am not sure, if there are unwanted side effects.
We're trying to make use of Epics for organizing sets of issues; having some kind of control over the sort of 'issues in epic' would be helpful.
Did anybody ever find a solution to this. Currently my issues in Epic appear in a bizarre order. All of my stories have medium priority. I would at least like them to be ordered based on the Issue ID so that they are in the order entered.
I also have a very strange order of issues within an Epic issue type. Anyone know a way to sort this list?
At least for Done/Accepted tickets, if you go outside of the Epic page, say on a Kanban or Release board, re-ranking the tickets will update the order displayed on the Epic page. Not the most efficient thing. Sorting controls would be very welcome.
There is no official response to this question yet?
Since:
Users no longer have the ability to edit Rank fields on the JIRA 'View Issue' page. The only way that 'Rank' fields can be changed is by drag-and-drop ranking on one of GreenHopper's boards.
If you would like to rearrange the order of the issue on your epic, you can create a board for the Epic and manually resort the issues.
create a filter to show your epics such as "Epic Link" = Issue-1234
This only works as long as the issue is not in a sprint. Once the member of an Epic is in a sprint, the relative order of that issue can no longer be changed. If I am wrong, please tell me how.
+1
Add a heading row above the list and provide sort capability through clicking the heading. Lots of OpenSource JS tools to do this. It'll allow for anyone's use case as long as the column is exposed.
I don't care about that ranking stuff, just want to sort by issue id.
+100
I would like to organize my issues in Epic as well. move to Top and move to bottom are not very user friendly !!!
Guys, this way was working for me:
Done.Just enjoy the user-friendliness of it.
I added numeric labels to all of the issues under a particular epic and then displayed that column too to help get them in the right order when Ranking to Top. Not the most user friendly way of setting rank but at this point I'll use what I can. Too bad this isn't a higher priority since it is such an old request and many people seem to want/need the same function.
Yes, that is correct. To change the rank once in a sprint, I believe you have to do it on the Sprint board.
I have this need as well. Just throwing my hat in the ring. I have found other threads here as well asking for the same thing.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-9688
As an example.
I "fixed" my epic by listing the issues in order (I used an editor, but could easily have used a filter in another window) and then worked from last to first marking each as Rank To Top. It doesn't re-order unless you refresh, you can if you want to check progress. Tedious, but only the work of a couple of minutes.Some of these issues have been through sprints though. I didn't spot any weird side effects from changing their ranking. I'd have hoped for a warning if what I was doing was bad...
an interesting solution. There's only one Rank field, as far as I know, so it does seem that doing 'rank to top' would impact the position of the ticket in a kanban or scrum board, which might be problematic.
I am in search for an easy solution for this as well. Creating a filter for each epic just for this purpose isn't a user friendly solution imo. A 'rank +1' and 'rank-1' option would be pretty helpful already.
It actually works the other way around. Ranking within the issue doesn't affect the sprint. But moving the issue in the Backlog Board to, say, the next sprint will change the order the issue appears within the epic ticket, if another issue from that epic was already assigned to that sprint!
Hello,
This was open in 2014, and here we are, 2017 with the same problem.
Anyone knows if this is still an open issue on Atlassian Support? Where we can vote and watch the issue.
2018, still the same issue.
Hi All,
I just found out that, if you arrange the stories or tasks of an epic in the order you want on the JIRA agile board/backlog, the tickets will be displayed in the same order under the issues in Epic view.
Hope this is helpful.
Emailed the head of product.
Honestly a head scratcher that this isn't the default experience:
- Resolved issues are move to the bottom of the list
- Open tickets are ordered by priority. This priority is visible within the table view.
Hi Alex, Did you get a response on this?
Another option would be to allow the order allow the order to be adjusted manually (drag and drop). Makes it a bit easier to handle depenencies etc if they exist.
2020, still same issue
So much complexity for something that could follow everyone's intuition. Alex said it best.
@Alex ClatterbuckNews on this?
Thanks for this. Don't know why Atlassian don't add this facility directly to the Epic view. Please vote for this here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-40929.
Hi Mirre
Hahaha hey Louis!
I get a ... button instead of a gear icon here, and the menu under the ... button doesn't have the 'Rank to top'/'Rank to bottom' items
When I arrange it on Backlog it does not re-arrange the Epic issue list. Probably it's just possible when it's in the agile board. Gonna try that.
Might be worth noting that the backlog reorder isn't reflected on the epic unless you reload the epic page.
Please vote for the ticket I created some time ago for that issue to get it fixed (hopefully):
JSWSERVER-16151 Moving issues up and down in 'Issues in this epic'
I just created an Agile Board, then I selected the Epic in the agile board, and then I just moved the issues in the epic in order I required.
After that, I just returned and refreshed the Epic ticket main view, and the order was kept based what I did in the agile board.
I’m very excited to see that this issue is coming up to five years old!
After half a decade of comments from a great bunch of people, Wilson and I have come to think of you all as our special friends.
On 27th I’ll be at the pub, in Dublin Ireland, ready to buy anyone a drink if they can figure out how to get this issue resolved.
Your friend,
Dave
Ex- Jira user
An add on like Portfolio or Structure is still the only way to see all your epics on one screen with associated Stories or Tasks sorted directly beneath the Epic, and subtasks beneath each appropriate Story or Task.
Neither of these are free.
at least 5 years with the same issue...
It works for me when using Jira Cloud. Go to Project -> Backlog -> EPICS ->
Reorder tasks in the Backlog section.
This workaround has already been suggested but apparently this does not work with the current's sprint's epic's stories. In any case, ordering issues should be directly in the Epic view and not require messing around in the backlog.
I have this issue several times so at the end here is what I do:
LOVE IT!
6 years and it is still here !!
Well, closed issues sure as hell aren't moved to the bottom! This drives me nuts with the stories in my Jira epics.
And the rank-to-bottom thing doesn't work for me. Not sure why.
Yet another example of Atlassian's attitude of "Yeah, we're just not going to do anything about that, even with so many people frustrated by it."
Your software is user-facing. You should be working actively to address their concerns.
/ rant off
Pat O'ConnellTechnical WriterMindGeek Montreal
This works, Thanks!
I think creating a Kanban board works best for this. Make sure to clear the board sub-filter and set Hide completed issues older than to Never mind, show all though.
You might also want to exclude Sub-Tasks and the Epic itself from the board filter. E.g.,
project IN (ACM) AND parentEpic IN (ACM-100) AND key NOT IN (ACM-100) AND type NOT IN (Sub-task) ORDER BY Rank
this is what a feedback driven product looks like?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.