Hi,
We are in process of reviewing a couple of Atlassian's products in order to transition from ClearQuest and ClearCase. Currently we have a Confluence license for a small number of a users and JIRA Software on a trial license.
I was able to configure JIRA SMTP email without a problem, but was unsuccessful doing this with Confluence. I noticed in the JIRA configuration it had protocol option for Secure SMTP where Confluence did not. We are using Secure SMTP with TLS (which is checked for each configuration). The systems are running on different servers, but I am told it is not a firewall issue on the Confluence server. I need to know if this is a limitation of Confluence if it cannot connect to an SMTP server that is using a secure protocol. I have seen many references to this when I Googled the issue. Below is the error I received when trying to test the connection.
Thanks,
Jim
An error has occurred with sending the test email:
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.doSendWithMessageIdSupport(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:120)
at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.send(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:79)
at com.atlassian.confluence.admin.actions.mail.SendTestEmailAction.execute(SendTestEmailAction.java:57)
at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:168)
at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:35)
at cExecutor.java:624)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.readServerResponse(SMTPTransport.java:2210)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1950)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:642)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:317)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:176)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:125)
at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.doSendWithMessageIdSupport(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:102)
... 363 more
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(SocketInputStream.java:116)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:171)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:141)
at com.sun.mail.util.TraceInputStream.read(TraceInputStream.java:110)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:246)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:265)
at com.sun.mail.util.LineInputStream.readLine(LineInputStream.java:89)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.readServerResponse(SMTPTransport.java:2188)
... 369 more