I found another discussion that mentioned several ways to mention one issue from another, but none are working for me. Here's what I've tried:
I do not prefer to do the following as it's time consuming:
https://co-name-here.atlassian.net/browse/GG-22
Thanks for your help.
Hello everyone,
Jira Cloud changed a lot since this question was created, so I would like to update this thread to add the current behavior when adding a link to another issue on the description and comments.
The new issue view uses Markdown editor and in order to mention another ticket, you can simply type the issue key and press space or enter/return for the text to be updated with the link. You can also paste the link to the description or comment that will automatically be converted to the link showing the issue type, issue key, summary, and status.
If you are still using the old view that uses Wiki Markup, then it's necessary to type the issue key and save the comment/description for it to show the issue type, issue key, and status or use [IT-123|https://xxxxxx.atlassian.net/browse/IT-123].
Hope this clarifies!
If you have any other questions or if you are facing issues, since the original question is from 2018, please, raise a new question so we can better investigate what is happening.
Regards,Angélica
Hello,
usually, simply writing the issue key without anything else (no # or []) should be enough. Have you tried that ?
Cheers,
— Alexis
Yes, not parsing the key at all
I have also tried all of the above with the admin account but to no avail.
Could you check what the renderer of the comment field is.
* Admin -> Field Configurations -> The field configuration of your project -> Find Comments
It should be wiki renderer:
-- Alexis
I don't think any of those work for you, there are only 2 ways that worked for me, and both related to actual links.
I put all my attempts in the video in case someone will find it easier that way to learn (there are no ads or anything) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USj7HKy1u6w
I came across this problem as well, I found that it is more than just typing the ticket ID, you actually have to press return right after you type it so it triggers a ticket link. If the link doesn't appear as soon as you press return, then it won't just magically appear after you submit the comment.
Well, that works, but it's not as nice as the old view which automatically translated Jira issue numbers into links. Doing it this way, the issue number, summary, and status all appear in the text. If I switch to the old issue view, I only have to enter the issue number and save and the wiki markup editor converts it to an issue link with just the number and status, and when you mouse-over the link you can see the summary.
In the new editor, if after pressing enter to get the issue link you then edit the link to remove the summary, it treats it as an external link; that is, you don't get the status or the summary on mouse-over.
Leave it to Atlassian to take 1 step forward and two back on the UI.
Follow up...
But, if you enter it via the old view, you only get the issue link IN THE OLD VIEW! The new view shows the issue number as text without a link or status. So it appears to be an issue with the new page renderer not recognizing the issue number and creating the link.
I am glad that typing the issue key in the new Markdown editor creates a link. However, it only works if you type in upper case. IT-123 will convert; it-123 will not. It's a minor annoyance, but in the old Markup editor, either case will be converted into a link to the referenced issue.
Also, the new Markdown editor only seems to be available when viewing an issue. Creating a new issue and transitioning an issue through the workflow still use the old Markup editor. A bigger annoyance in that issue keys that appear as links in the old Markup editor do not become links in the new Markdown view. It is a shame that the new view is not backwards compatible.
It should be noted that in the new editor you need whitespace before the key. Putting it in braces doesn't work.
This won't expand (JIRA-123<space>
But this will ( JIRA-123<space>
Hello Angélica,
When I type an issue (ex: GET-117) nothing happens, no link appears. I have done this by opening the issue page, same result. I am using Jira Cloud.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Michael
For online it works with just typing projectname and dash with the number like PROJ-34
and then hitting enter
It seems to parse it then and puts as a link
REQUEST: Be able to look up issues exactly like "@person" mentions.Type some char (maybe #?) and get an inline character-at-a-time short list.
Clicking the link icon in the toolbar and start typing the issue key works for me.
no it doesn`t
Can`t believe that feature still doesn`t exists in a faster way to refer
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.