I'm writing procedures—step-by-step instructions—in Confluence. Each step is numbered. I'm using numbered lists—in the underlying markup, <ol> elements—to format the procedures. Each step is a list item. For example:
- Enter ABC on the command line.
- Click button XYZ.
Some steps are complex. In one case, I found myself wanting to embed a small table in a list item.
In that specific case, the step was "Create a Jira issue", and the table consisted of just two rows and two columns:
- Column 1 contained "row headings": "Project" and "Issue Type"
- Column 2 contained values for "Project" and "Issue Type"
Okay, in that specific case, I will admit: perhaps a table is formatting overkill. I could simply write, for example:
Create a Jira issue in project "X" of issue type "Y".
Still, I'm curious: can I use the Confluence rich text editor to insert (nest) a table in a list item? That is, can I insert a table in a list item, and then be able to continue the list—and the list numbering—following the table? If so, how?
I deliberately write "can I use the ... rich text editor" because I don't want to have to resort to editing the underlying markup to achieve this; that is, to cut'n'paste the <table> element into the <li> element. I'm leery of editing the underlying markup in ways that cannot be reproduced by the rich text editor. For example, other users, who might not want to edit the underlying markup, might edit the page later.