Apologies if this has been asked before - I've searched but am struggling to find a similar example and would appreciate some help. I'm pretty new to jira.
My company uses the epic/theme field in jira to mark certain types of work. Sometimes this tag is applied at an epic level, and other times it is applied at a story level (within an epic that does not contain the epic/theme criteria needed)
In the structure below, the Y/N refers to whether or not that epic or story is marked by the necessary epic/theme
Epic 1 (Y)
- story 1 (Y)
- story 2 (Y)
- story 3 (N)
Epic 2 (N)
- story 1 (Y)
- story 2 (N)
- story 3 (N)
My question: Is it possible to write something in JQL that would return only the highest level instance of a particular epic/theme?
Given the example above, the result that I'd like to bring about would only have two results:
1. Epic 1 (epic only, do not return stories)
2. Epic 2 Story 1 (story only, do not return the epic)