We were running 5.8.0 with no problems. After receiving the security bulletin yesterday I grabbed 5.9.0 and upgraded my server instance. It removed the existing services and on the last screen of the installer it hung for a while before failing to start bitbucket.
Since then I renamed my bitbucket program directory and tried the upgrade again. This time it worked and started bitbucket in console windows. However no service was configured. I used the service batch file to create the service and the config options listed looked correct, however it failed to create the elasticsearch service and if I try to start the bitbucket service it immediately ends with a "The Atlassian Bitbucket BITBUCKET service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 time(s)." or similar message in the system event log.
Elasticsearch fails with this message when I try to run service.bat install:
Installing service : "BITBUCKET_SEARCH"
Using JAVA_HOME (64-bit): "C:\Java\jdk1.8.0_45"
FINDSTR: Cannot open C:\Atlassian\Bitbucket\5.9.0\elasticsearch\config\jvm.options
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
I also tried updating the account the bitbucket service runs under to an administrator account and it still fails with the same message.
From what I can see no log files are generated in the logs folder when the service fails to start (they are generated when I run in the console). Nothing useful appears in the system event log (other than the message mentioned above)
For now I can run bitbucket in the console, but it would be far preferable to be able to run it as a service. Any ideas would be appreciated. I've been at this the last several hours and am out of ideas.
Thanks,
Kevin