I am working to improve our ticket tracking by capturing Date or Date-Time values using the %%CURRENT_DATETIME%% macro. I'm fine tuning this a bit but have enough working to be confident I'll achieve a reasonable solution to tracking how long Stories and Bugs are in active development. I may also break this down further to track time in development and time in QA.
There are some limitations and I have a couple of related questions:
1. Sometimes the workflow is somewhat iterative - QA sends a ticket back to Dev - or partial work is completed but put on hold and the ticket goes back to the Backlog. So being able to count the number of times looping through the Dev and QA portion of the workflow would be helpful. Is there an iterator type solution available for Post-Function use?
2. Can I use previously set values and do comparisons and ideally some simple Time-Date object math to set custom fields with a time difference rather than a date? My workaround is to capture start and end times with Post-Function custom fields being set, and I can export to Excel or other tools and get the actual time-in-partial-workflow later. But it would be very nice to capture it at the time the end Status is being set.
If a solution were available for both of the above questions, I could fully track "time in development" and "time in QA" including multiple iterations through the partial Dev and QA workflows directly in each Jira ticket and just query tickets for the results. That would be sweet.
I'm sure there are plenty of plug-ins that do similar things ... but prefer to keep the solution as generic as possible. But hey if there's a killer plug-in that nails this beautifully I'd welcome reviewing how it works and would consider using it.