BLUF:
* CAPTCHA authentication always fails on a stand-alone JIRA instance
* We want a notification sent to SysAdmin when a user locks themselves out
Background:
I am running an offline instance of JIRA on a secure intranet.
As part of security protocol, we need to lock users out after 3 failed password attempts. We have "maximum authentication attempts" set to 3, and this works just fine.
Unfortunately, it presents a CAPTCHA to the user, who thinks that solving the CAPTCHA will grant them access. The CAPTCHA verification always fails, even if the user inputs the code correctly. This persists until a SysAdmin goes into the User Management pane and resets their failed login count. I assume this is because we are a standalone instance? I would prefer the CAPTCHA simply not appear (and ideally display a warning message instead).
Regardless, we have the functionality now that we need, but I'm looking for a solution that can notify a system administrator when a user fails to login after 3 attempts.