My company uses a project within JIRA as a template for other projects. Whenever a project manager (who is also a JIRA admin) wants to create a new project, they export all the issues of a particular Epic within the template project to a CSV file and import it using JIRA's CSV importer tool. Unfortunately, the "Rank" of the issues (therefore the order in which the issues are listed in the backog) are not maintained (they appear in the order of their key). I checked the filter for the board that the backlog is using and it says "project = TBDCOM2 ORDER BY Rank ASC".
When I check the value of "Rank", the format is a little bizarre to me ("0|i013yk:", "0|i013yf:", etc.). I tried changing this value in the CSV file to be more meaningful like "1", "2", "3", etc. but the backlog still did have order I desired.
What else can we do to maintain the order of the backlog when exporting from our "template" project and importing to a new project? We don't want to spend hours reorganizing the order of the backlog each time a new project is created.