openSUSE 42.2
mysql 5.6.36
Confluence 6.0.6
Jira 7.3.1
BitBucket 4.14.1
Within 30 minutes after a reboot, I can no longer open new network connections. My CMS is not accessible, I cannot connect via SSH, and my external monitors give timeouts for HTTP and SMTP. (ping works)
There are sometimes over 100 connections between confluence and MySQL. (netstat -an | grep -v ':80'| awk '{print $5}' | grep 127.0.0.1:3306 | wc -l)
MySQL has 40 processes just for Confluence. (show processlist)
If I shutdown confluence and wait until the existing network connections disappear, I can log into my CMS and the external monitors stop reporting timeouts. When I start confluence again, I soon have the same problem. If I am logged into Confluence before the problem starts, I will eventually get "com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.CommunicationException".
There is no one else on the system and only a couple of hits per *minute* on the CMS. In fact, there is only a single Confluence user: me! It makes no sense to me that Confluence uses that many network connections and that many MySQL processes. It does be doing close to nothing at the moment. It is not as if there is some scheduled action that regularly slows the system, but rather a continuous problem.
All of the database and network parameters are still the defaults. I have looked through the Confluence Admin pages (when they are accessible long enough) and I did not find anything that limits either network connections or database connections.
Any ideas as to why this problem is occurring and what I can do to correct it are greatly appreaciated.