A 'hidden' project will still be visible via the 'Administration' menu, but it will no longer appear in the 'Browse Projects' list, and no-one will be able to search, view or modify any of the project's issues.
Did you ever find an answer to this? We have exactly the same issue. In Confluence we move old projects into an 'Archive' page hierarchy, to keep the top level tidy. It really frustrates me that there is no way to do this in Jira.
There is no way to hide the old projects from a JIRA administrator in the project list for them to administer the project. If you create a permission scheme where NO ONE has even browse permission, including administrators, they will be hidden unless a JIRA administrator goes into the menu to manage projects. You can't hide it there.
Thanks Joe. Not the answer for which I was hoping but I won't shoot the messenger.
If the admin can't manage them how could they unhide them if someone needed to look back?
I'm happy for them to be in the Admin project list (the screen with the edit/delete options). I just want them hidden on the ordinary project browse page (the one you reach when you go into Search and then select 'All Projects'
I had an idea where you could also change the category to Archive by creating this category, then you can at least filter them out... but you can't filter by what you don't want to see, only by what you do want to see. I agree with Ian Homewood and Thien it is really annoying to even as an admin have to see dead projects.
I too am struggling with this little annoyance.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.