I have found by searching there is no easy way to control the link behavior for Confluence Hosted for articles created.
Almost any other hosted KB, Blog and such has the ability within the link options to select if the link should open in a new tab, window etc...
As it is now, the end user experience is taken out of confluence, which using the back key is not a really good solution and they will need to route back to confluence in a new session.
Is there a Road Map for this feature in the Hosted / On Demand version of Confluence?
This is the one feature that I am really disappointed in not seeing as a feature. At some point I saw building a Macro was the solution, but not sure if that will work in the Hosted Version and seems like a workaround vs a solution.
PS. A few people mention that opening a new tap for each link would not be a good idea due to the number of tabs opening, I think most people will see that and close the tabs when they are done reviewing the outside link, and much better experience than using the back key or Alt-click the back arrow to try to find your way back. Or worse having to navigate back to however you arrived at Confluence.
Dave
Image already added