Can I add someone as a watcher, but not add him to jira-users group? I tested this and he received the notifications. He can also view the issue since the permission allows anyone to view. I just want to confirm that this is working as I think it is should. For read-only purposes and notifications (via Watchers), does one need to be in the jira-users group?
My other question is: Is there a limit to the number of users that can be loaded into JIRA? We are using a filter to load only a subset of employees to JIRA for access. I would like to make everyone available and add them to jira-users as needed vs using the filter. Plus it allows users to be added as watchers w/o occupying a license. However, it seems that I had a performance issue when I did this initially. WOndering if there is a limit or if I configured something wrong.