Don't know how this happened, but when I want to create a new Jira project, the only available project type I have is "Agility", and I can't change this.
Any idea? Thanks.
Any chance that you are logged as a user that is not an admin?
Non-admins now have the option to create a new project themselves, but their are limited to Agility projects. Both "create project for regular users" and "agility projects" are new features.
If you want to create Scrum, Kanban or other projects, you will need administrator privileges.
Sounds like you have installed an app that provides this new project template, and it is hiding the standard project templates. Perhaps try disabling the app (plugin/add-on)?
Ah, I see that agility projects are a newer feature
https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-jira-software/three-common-jira-software-boards-937185142.html
(off to work out how to disable that for our 10000 users and our next upgrade)
ok, didn't know. This is exactly that. Thanks a lot.
No worries. The ability to create projects as a regular user has just been released. If you get a chance to use your agility project, let us know. We are still improving it and would very much like your feedback!
Indeed I use it on a small project. Feel free to contact me for feedback if you need, no problem. Can you get access to my email address?
@Matt Doar the ability for non-admins to create projects is granted by the new "Create independent projects" global permission: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-global-permissions-776636359.html
FYI this is Jira Cloud only. No plans to bring it to Jira Server in the foreseeable future.
Phew!
Sorry to re-open this but are we really saying the only user role who can create projects is the administrator and there is nothing we can do to grant project managers this access unless we make them full JIRA admins?
Thats crazy, I dont want my PMs changing workflows or user permissions etc but I need them to be able to create new scrum/kanban projects
That is correct I'm afraid.
Jira Cloud has the right model - an extra global permission for a group to be able to create projects without being admins, but I'd take Dave's comment as gospel, it's not going to server for the foreseeable. (This product divergance is getting really annoying)
@Brian Norman & @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- prior to the release of agility projects in Cloud, that was the case.
The new agility based projects now add a new capability that allows all users, including non-admins, to create and configure their projects independently of other projects: this means that changes to workflows, issue types or permissions will not impact other projects.
The story behind this is a movement towards placing decision making in the hands of people who are closest to the customer. However, we recognize that it's complicated and that this shift doesn't apply everywhere and so you still have the ability to use the existing admin-only created projects.
The new experience is in Beta and so we're looking for feedback and more live examples to shape it's future development. I'd imagine that as more features make their way to the new agility projects, the lines will blur and the tradeoffs between non-admin and admin-only project creation and management capabilities - indepdendent or shared - will change.
I'd encourage you to perhaps go over to our new Beta group and create a discussion about how you'd like to allow anyone to create a new scrum/kanban projects, but perhaps without the ability to modify workflows and permissions, and why.
Is it possible to "promote" an independent project to a regular one? We have a user that has unknowingly created one and started the work in it, but we now need to configure it like a regular project. If there is no way to do this, how do you suggest we handle it?
Take a look at this answer: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agility-Beta-questions/Can-I-convert-an-agility-project-to-another-project-or-board/qaq-p/744354#M16
For now you'll have to create a new project and move issues to it.
Yea I'm the same on this. I'm a PM - I have no desire to create, change, or manage settings and workflows. They've already been curated over the years by our teams. However, this Agility set up gives me none of the project settings my team needs, those we've all been operating with. Now I have to ask for permission to, basically do this part of my job.
It is quite unfortunate (and un-user friendly) that there is an option to allow the creation of "New Generation projects" (which is a feature that I think is not really finished, as of today), and not for the creation of "Classic projects".
Is it to incite us to use New Generation projects? We tried to use these, but too many features are lacking (as in the new Issue view).
Yes it is - classic projects are complex to configure and when you're doing it, you can trash other people's projects, hence the requirement for admin rights (there's an assumption that admins know enough to not break things for others). Next-gen projects are intended to give more power to users, including the right to create their own projects, but, of course, without the ability to wreck others.
And yes, I'm with you - they're really not ready for general use. To many missing functions that people need.
Ok, I understand.
Thanks for your feedback!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.