Hi,
I ll be upgrading Confluence soon and am in the staging env right and ready to take a big leap with the major version upgrade.
Somehow I was in the impression Upgrading Jira and Confluence will be similar. However as I am going through the confluence upgrade documents(
https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf63/migrating-confluence-between-servers-929730056.html ), it seems we dont do xml backup import in confluence, the way we do in Jira upgrade( if there is migration involved) .
Ou Scenario:
Current confluence: 5.6.3
O/S : windows 2008
DB: SQL 2012
Desired version to upgrade : 6.3.4
O/S : windows 2012 R2
DB: SQL 2012
Since I ll be changing the operating system I was thinking to install conf 6.3.4 on windows 2012 and SQL 2012 db server.Stop confluence service on 6.3.4 and copy the application data from old confluence 5.6.3 to confluence 6.3.4 server and remove the confluence.cfg.xml file and start the confluence service on 6.3.4 version and according to my jira upgrade/migration process, it should prompt for database setup and thats when it should say that import from the backup.
No,I have not attempted the above theory in practical so I dont know if thats how it goes. Has anyone done something similar in their environment?
Please note this is not and cannot be an In-place upgrade because I need to move to windows 2012 from windows 2008 on my application server.
Thanks