I have a Bitbucket Git Cloud repo that is reaching the 1Gb soft limit. There are not really big files in there (the larger is 20Mb and the following one is 5Mb, and those are not much). So I think that the size of the repo is coming from the history, as we have lot's of files that are changing frequently (some of the files may be changing more than 20 times in a day) since 2015 when we started with this repo.
Is there a way that I can compact the history of the repo to keep for example only the history up to last year? Will this help in reducing the size of it? What are the side effects of it? What is the negative side of doing it?
Can I keep the actual history (before compacted) in a separate repo so that if for some reason we need to dig to commits earlier than last year we still have a way?
Thanks in advance.