I am trying to import Story Points to existing issues I have setup in Jira. I have Story Points set for the Estimate field. I can manually add the Story point value to an issue (Estimate field) and I can export the Story Point field- appears on export as "Custom Field (Story Points)". When I attempt to import the file I exported there is no field in the Mapping section that I can map "Custom Field (Story Points)" to. How do I import a value to the Story Point field?
Afaik, the field you are looking for is once named Story Points and once Estimate, but they are the same.
Forget about the "estimation" stuff, it does not matter. This simplifies what you are doing.
You have Story Points in your import data. I imagine this is a number for each issue?
When you do an import, you need to import numbers into numeric fields. So you need a numeric field to import this into. An "estimate" field is not a number, it's a length of time. So it sounds like you have no numeric fields available. Try adding one and doing the import again.
@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, it's true that the information about the estimate is not required when importing data from a CSV file. But it is important to know, that this field (Story Points) is named "Estimate" as soon as you are within an agile board (standard behaviour).
@Kathy confortiI tried to exactly do what you described above:
First, had just a look at a Jira Software 7.7.0 unmodified (out-of-the-box). The custom field 'Story Points' is of type 'Number Field'. It is limited to the issue types 'Epic' and 'Story'.
Note: So when importing story points to a different issue type than Epic or Story, they will not be visible. Then you have to re-configure the custom field Story Points.
Then I created a fresh Scrum project with Atlassian's project creation templates. I imported following CSV file with one story:
Summary;Description;Issue Type;Story PointsTest Story;Something for Testing;Story;10
Delimiter is ';' not standard ','. When it came to select the Jira fields for mapping to the data of the CSV file, everything could be mapped one to one. Even Story Points was no problem.
When the import was finished, I had exactly one new story in the backlog, that was already estimated with 10 points.
So, @Kathy conforti, can you reproduce my little test? If not, tell me what is different.
You should be careful with language here - it is flagged with estimate in the screens, but it is still named "Story points", and the scrum boards are the only place it does the flagging.
Keep it simple and call the field by the name that is used everywhere, not the flag.
Of cause, the different languages. I forgot. I am so used to work with Jira in English.
Neither Story Points nor Estimate show as field available to map to on the Import Mapping Screen. Is there a specific version of Jira we need to be using for this to appear? We are using Jira V 7.5.2
Only Fields which appear are in the drop down are:
Custom fields: Epic Link, Epic Name, Sprint
JIRA Fields: Summary, Issue Type, Component/s, Description, Fix Version/s, Priority, Labels, Environment, Affects Version/s ,Assignee
Links & Sub-Tasks: Issue ID, Parent Id, Link "Blocks", Link "Cloners", Link "Duplicate", Link "Git Code Review", Link "Problem/Incident", Link "Relates
I have tried to reproduce the little test of Sebastian, and on my side (JIRA test site) it fails.
I have been trying to import from CSV with specifically the "standard" JIRA fields:
mentioned in the documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-data-from-csv-776636762.html#ImportingdatafromCSV-jirafieldtips
Funny enough, Story Points is not mentioned in the list! :-|
@Kathy conforti, why dose it fail? What are the error messages?
In the Map Fields screen, drop-down box, there are no entries for Story Points, Original Estimate, or Remaining Estimate. So there is no use in trying to import it if JIRA does not know what to map it to. Or am I missing something?
Hi All,
I figured this out. You need to do this from the admin import menu 'External System Import' (ie. not the menu you open up from the 'search window'.
Both these imports look very similar, but the admin one has significantly more rights, including importing story points I guess.
I am the admin and I did it from the + sign. Can you send a screenshot or provide more details on your proposed solution?
Click the cog icon -> system -> external system import, load the csv as before but you should see more options for field mapping.
Just add "Story Point" fields to your configured Create Screen.
and then try again.
Thank you Ahmet.Your solutions works for me.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.