Hello experts,
Let me start by saying I am just learning Jira and I am in a business role that is unrelated to software or computer languages.
My company has a Lotus Notes DB of problems. Once these problems are created, my department begins to track them and do what we do to ultimately close these problems. This is currently done in an MS Access DB that we are leaving for Jira.
I would like to export a few fields of the Lotus Notes DB and import into Jira so that we can manage these problems. In order to do this daily without creating redundant issues, I import these with my own Issue Key. I use a unique control number to track problems in other DB's.
The problem is that I have a few different types of tracking numbers. They looks like AAAA-000000, AAAA-A00000, A0A000000000. I have run Excel macros to strip the letters from the key, but this isn't an ideal solution. I would rather have Jira keep track of the key, but I am not sure how to import updated data without redundancies.
Is there a way to import data and match records based on an alphanumeric field instead of an Issue Key that is only a number?