After installing version 4.13, I realized that the new "edit file in browser" feature is enabled by default. I attempted to use the feature and discovered a couple issues:
- I have an 'update' hook enabled on the repository to validate commit messages. The 'update' hook does not appear to be invoked. I was unable to reject commits for invalid commit message.
- I attempted to disable the file edit feature by setting content.upload.max.size=0. This caused the "commit" button to be disabled, but did not disable the "edit" button. I expected to see the "edit" button disabled.
- I was able to commit directly to the master branch.
This is an interesting feature, but it needs a bit more control. For example, is there a way to prevent commits directly to master from this feature. It should be possible to configure that all edits from the UI and REST API require a pull request.
Documentation should explain how to enforce commit message validation.
It seems the only control is on file size. There should be a separate option to disable Edit and remove the button from the UI completely.
I've reverted to version 4.12.1 for now.
All that said, it is possible I overlooked some relevant documentation. If these issues are already addressed, I would appreciate someone pointing me to the related docs.
Michael Giroux