Hello!
I'm looking for a REST Endpoint, that a custom client can use to update the users profile data and picture.
Thanks!
I don't think Confluence has a REST API endpoint for that yet, but you can use the XML-RPC/JSON-RPC API for that. There's a method called "addProfilePicture" that you can use: https://developer.atlassian.com/server/confluence/remote-confluence-methods/#user-management
Remember that for the RPC API you have to call the login method to get the token. If you are making the call from browser Javascript, though, this is unnecessary and the token will be filled in automatically.
If you're looking to do so in JIRA, it's a bit different and can be done via the REST API. This was the answer I used when I was trying to figure it out: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Avatar-upload-with-Jira-5-REST-API/qaq-p/475376
Hey Stephen,
thanks alot! I'll try it out!
Greetings,
Christoph
The following REST calls may help you. These calls are private. I'll try them tomorrow, too. Let's see what happens. Or have you already solved it?/rest/user-profile/1.0/avatar/uploadFallback/rest/user-profile/1.0/{userKey}/avatar/default/rest/user-profile/1.0/{userKey}/avatar/upload
Did this work for anyone? If so, what are the parameters?
Don't know if this bug still exists but the @mention photos will be missing if you upload via the old RPC API. A reindex will fix it, but not ideal if you're constantly updating profile pictures.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-35282
Any help?
Necropost because searches brought me here for the same unresolved topic: Atlassian Cloud user management for all the atlassian products can use this undocumented endpoint subject to change (2026): A multipart form PUT to <a href="https://admin.atlassian.com/gateway/api/users/%7BuserId%7D/manage/avatar" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">https://admin.atlassian.com/gateway/api/users/{userId}/manage/avatar</a>.
<a href="https://admin.atlassian.com/gateway/api/users/%7BuserId%7D/manage/avatar" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">https://admin.atlassian.com/gateway/api/users/{userId}/manage/avatar</a>
Python snippet
requests.put(f"https://admin.atlassian.com/gateway/api/users/{userId}/manage/avatar",files={"file":("blob",open("MySquarePhoto.jpg","rb"),"image/jpeg")})
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.