For my project I have 3 boards a kanban board each for analysis and testing and a scrum board for development. I have status's that are mapped to the analysis and testing boards and not mapped to the development board. This means however that when looking at the backlog view the tickets that do not have status's mapped to the development board do not show up in the backlog view. Any ideas how to make it so I can see all tickets in the backlog without having them mapped to the development board.
Thanks,
Amy
Hi Amy,
Create a status called backlog and configure this status to not be in the board columns.
Hi Cristian,
I have this status already but if it is un-mapped in a column then tickets in this status do not show in the backlog view.
There is a difference between unmapped and used as backlog.
Check the image below
Hi it's a scrum board rather than a kanban board, can I still do this? It doesn't show up when I open the configure kanban column?
Nic Brough: "You can't. You're effectively asking to see issues you have chosen not to see. It's one or the other.
If you want to see an issue on the board, it needs to be selected by the board to be visible - the board filter needs to select it and it needs to be told in what column to appear."
No. I'll go out on a short limb, and say it. You are incorrect. You're trying to "fit" Scrum to the limitations of Jira. This is NOT "how a Backlog" in Scrum "works".
Any WORK, is the backlog (things that are or might become "Product"). Whether
A board, to visualize the work...is NOT the backlog.
What the OP is trying to compartmentalize is:
As a Customer
I want to see
Jira Backlog Screen -> Display (2) and (3)
Jira Active Sprint Screen -> Display (2) and (1)
So I can...DO MY WORK.
This IS how Scrum differentiates Backlog (the work) from Board (a particular visualization I've decided might be useful for display the flow of the work). Not because I'm both a Scrum and Kanban trainer (because I am), and not because I say so, because that's what the Scrum Guide says (and speaking as the original translator of the Guide into Spanish, I think I'm pretty familiar with what it says).
Jira has this woefully broken. I hope others find this, and upvote this to the sky, because the day Atlassian FIXES this, it will actually have accomplished something very useful to A LOT of people.
The way you have written this suggests that you have not even looked at a Scrum board in Jira software.
If you had, you would see that a Scrum board has two views you switch between
So Jira already does almost everything you describe, exactly as you say in your "As a customer I want to see" bit. Your essay barely has any reference to the original poster's question or my response.
You have also got the definition of backlog wrong. You say "Any WORK, is the backlog (things that are or might become "Product").". This is broadly correct. But you then say "it includes done items". This is absolutely wrong as "Backlog is simply a list of all things that needs to be done within the project." - in other words, a backlog does not contain done issues, because they do not need to be done, because they already are.
"A backlog, which lists all issues selected by the board filter except those that are complete. This includes issues allocated to sprints - the sprints are boxed out at the top of the list."
-- this used to be true. Now, even if I have the backlog status included in the filter, if I do not have it mapped to a board column, it will not show on the backlog view. Even if items in the backlog status will never show on the board (because I will never assign them to the active sprint), I still have to actually /map/ it to a board column in order for it to be visible under the created sprints, which seems bizarre to me. But as I've said, I am pretty sure it used to work exactly as you describe, and paid attention to the filter only rather than the mapping.
Just having this issue myself, I'm surprised at the divisiveness in this thread as it seems straight forward to me, and agree with the original poster; the backlog should be based purely on the filter for the board, not on whether statuses are shown on the board columns or not.
I have multiple board views for different roles, so devs for example don't need to worry about all the steps done before a ticket is ready for development (ie design/discovery sprints) or statuses for the steps the testing team need to do once development is complete.
I'd still want to see all backlog tickets irrespective of which board I'm viewing. I've had to create one board to rule them all which incorporates all statuses, JUST so I can see the full backlog, then I have to switch to my PO board or whatever to see the statuses and columns I want to see on the actual sprint. Sprints and backlogs should be separate, and the backlog should show all backlog tickets irrespective of the statuses I have in my columns on the sprint board.
I am very new to scrum.
Still this is a feature I need. It's just weird it doesn't work. I don't want a column for backlog in my Sprint. It distracts from working.
I want to see only the Sprint stuff in the columns not the backlog. But if I don't map it to a column it's not there. That's really weird.
Should be a easy fix
That's the point of the discussion - it does work. Some people want a backlog column, others do not. You can (now) choose. I prefer backlog on one view, and my current sprint on the board view. But that's just me.
How is it possible?
In kanban yes but in scrum not.
I have a scrum board that pulls issues from a lot of projects. If I don't map the backlog status to a column it won't show in the backlog of the board.
If you do not have a status on the board, then it is not part of the board.
The backlog is part of the board.
So, yes, if you don't map a status, then issues in that status CAN NOT appear as part of the board, and that includes the backlog.
I am new to Jira and ran into this same “issue” today. In my project, new issues are created with status=“Backlog”. My scrum board has “To do”, “In progress” and “Done” columns mapped to the statuses of the same names. Since status=“Backlog” issues are not mapped to my scrum board columns, those issues do not show up in my scrum board nor my scrum backlog.
I propose the scrum Backlog page/list should show all issues, regardless of status, that are not currently in a sprint and not completed(?). I initially expected to see my status=“Backlog” issues included. Assuming they are displayed, the question becomes how should they then be presented on my scrum board? I suggest that the an unmapped issue status should be changed to the status mapped in the left-most column on the scrum sprint board. Isn’t that essentially what I would be doing by specifically moving a Backlog issue of any status from the scrum Backlog to a sprint?
if there is already a way to do this, please let me know.
The point of a backlog is listing, ranking and selecting the issues are supposed to be able to go across the board. If an issue can't go across the board because it's not on it, there's no point having it in the backlog.
I understand that is how it currently works in Jira. I believe the point myself and others are making is that this isn’t what many expect. Do users consider items listed under “Backlog” as ready to go across the board? Maybe there should be a board configuration option to “show unmapped statuses in backlog?”.
To expand upon that idea, the user would go into the board configuration and place select specific unmapped statuses into a “include unmapped status in Backlog” box. This way the user can choose which statuses are included/excluded in the Backloglist. Again, It should then be made clear that including any of these unmapped status issues into a sprint would automatically update the status of the issue.
My proposed solutions are simply to satisfy the expectations of more users to make for a better UX and help make the product more flexible.
Yeah i think it would be easy. But as you can see nic just repeats it over on over again. It's just not how they want it to be. Sad to hear the same answer over and over. Very dissatisfied with this community Forum the way we are treated. It's how it is. I won't post anymore here.
The reason I give a similar answer repeatedly is because people are not understanding what I've written before and I'm trying to explain it differently.
Please don't abandon the community just because you don't like or understand a particular answer.
Hi,
I encountered the same issue today and found this thread. Though the thread did not give any solution, but it confirmed that it is an existing behaviour (i.e.) unless you map the status on the board, you cannot see those issues on Backlog.
I used a work around to address this issue. Created a new filter on the Active Sprints board using JQL to exclude all the issues with status' that I don't want to see on "Active Sprints" board. But mapped those status on the Broad settings to one of the existing column (e.g. Sprint To-Do). That way I can see those issues in "Backlog" board but at the same time it is not visible on "Active Sprints" if filter applied.
I have this same problem. In my mind, the Backlog should not be governed by which columns are visible in the Board. To me, the Active Sprint should use those board settings, but the Backlog is separate of that. I want to be able to click Backlog, scroll down to see the items in my backlog, and be able to use and see the "pre-work" statuses that I have defined in the workflow (i.e., To Estimate, Estimated, Needs Design, etc..).This is a pretty basic workflow for project managers trying to groom upcoming sprints.
I'm now trying to create a separate Board for Grooming, and it's like pulling TEETH to get my tickets to show even there. I now can't see any tickets I've put in Estimated & To Estimate, even though I've mapped those statuses to columns in the new board, and Jira "knows" in the counts shown when mapping statuses to columns that there are tickets there. ARRRRRRGHHHHH!!!! *shakes fists at Jira*
>I have this same problem. In my mind, the Backlog should not be governed by which columns are visible in the Board.
Why? The backlog is a feed-in to the board. If you're going to have issues that won't be on the board, then you don't need them in the backlog either.
You just need to map your columns to show the issues that you're going to be actually working with, then your backlog will contain all the issues you're going to be working with.
Because I want to groom the sprint, and when grooming the sprint there are statuses that don't apply to the work in progress in the currently-being-worked sprint.
We are currently using a big spreadsheet to track the grooming statuses, which is archaic. I'd like to be able to do this in Jira.
Disappointing to see this is still not resolved.
I understand how the board/backlog function has been implemented, but I do disagree with it. A board is based on a filter. The current implementation has the board columns act as an additional filter. So two filters that are added together to determine what issues are accessible are that are displayed in both the board and the backlog.
I believe there should only be the single filter that determines what issues the board has access to. Then the board and the backlog screen should let you modify how you want to view the result of that filter independently to each other.
I'm not sure what you mean by "not resolved". The problem is people not understanding what a board is for and how they are configured, which has been explained.
The only technical "resolution" I can see for this would be to remove the flexibility to not map status into columns. You'd get "one single filter that determines what issues the board has access to" and "you can modify how you want to view the result", alongside no-one being able to lose issues because they're unmapped. On the down-side, this would also stop people setting up boards that cover part of a workflow, which is useful for when issues move between teams.
My problem is that the items in the backlog are being displayed in the burn-up/down charts when they are not part of the sprint. And because all the statuses should be mapped otherwise they don't show up in the backlog, I'm not sure how can I remove them from the charts, but still see those tickets in the backlog
A burndown/up chart will only show you the stuff in the sprint, as defined on the board.
If you're seeing stuff you should not, you've mis-configured your board somewhere. Or been changing the sprint scope while it is active.
You're seriously saying "The problem is people not understanding..." when they are stating what their requirements are?
I am sure you understand the architecture very well and all. But that does not help. There is something missing.
Jira is mostly very intuitive and coherent. This part: not so much.
Of course we live with it as it is. But if we wanted a tool we have to understand how it works in order to operate it instead of one that we can just use, then we wouldn't be using Jira.
There's no point in stating a function is a "requirement" when it can't work. Your "requirement" is simply wrong and someone asking for it needs to look at it again.
If you really really want to work this way, then you should find a tool that allows you to implement a broken process. (You won't be there for long, you will probably go back to a useful tool within 6 months)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.