We use the Bitbucket as a web content repository and have enabled automatic merging for future release branches. This allows us to prepare content for articles that are targeted for publishing a few weeks out in an appropriate release branch, and have recent content automatically rolled forward. This works great for merging the main content, but there are certain files, such as pom.xml that we never want to auto-merge. This is because our future release release branches have an explicit version number and this file always creates a merge conflict.
On my local machine, I was able to manually perform the merge of my current branch into a future release branch as follows:
Created a .gitconfig file in the repo root with the following contents:
[merge "ours"]
driver = true
Created a .gitattributes file in the repo root as follows:
pom.xml merge=ours
However, when I create a pull request between my current branch and a future release branch, I get the error:
This pull request can't be merged.
You will need to resolve conflicts to be able to merge. More information.
This tells me the Bitbucket server is either not recognizing the .gitconfig or .gitattributes present in the repo root.
I don't have direct access to the Bitbucket server, so I was hoping I could accomplish the desired behavior by making repository specific config changes.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bob