I'm afraid I'm circling the drain on this one. I'm hoping that in describing this, someone will point out the obvious thing I've missed.
Start with an old 6.5?? Standalone JIRA server. I upgraded to the latest 7.61 and everything works fine on the original set of data and upgraded instance.
Next step was I created an AWS instance of Ubuntu 16.04 and created the database according to the documentation (confluence database setup https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-setup-for-mysql-128747.html, Jira db setup https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-802592179.html
I ran the installer atlassian-jira-software-7.6.1-x64.bin and it seemed to install okay. I installed mysql-connector-java-5.1.45-bin.jar before starting up JIRA.
I started up JIRA and went through the initial configuration. I've tried two different paths of importing my dataset and both fail. The early import seems to complete without any errors but I can't login. My administrative account does not respond to either the password I set it to in the initial configuration or the password that is theoretically stored in the database.
If I configure the JIRA environment by itself, it works fine I can create projects but when I go to import my old data set from the administrative panel, it gives me some error about missing object types. Unfortunately I didn't capture the error and I'm too tired to go and create it yet again.
My next thought was that maybe I'm doing something wrong in the install. What if I use a "known good" instance of JIRA in the cloud. I create a freebie account try to import my data and this time I can login, I can see other users but all of my projects kanban boards everything is gone.
I am out of ideas. I've been fighting with this for way too long and I've gone through a number of official and unofficial bits of documentation and nothing works. I'm clearly missing something but I can't see it anymore. Any ideas on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.
--- eric