I've auto-populated description field with text before. I need help with auto-populating it with a table with columns. Can you give directions on how to achieve this? I tried some javascript code but it doesn't display anything on Create screen.
If you have ScriptRunner, then have a look at how to achieve it through Behaviours:
https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html#_setting_a_default_description
So I should be writing a Groovy script for creating table with columns right?
You may create a table with wiki notation:
||column 1||column 2||column 3||
|cell value 1|cell value 2|cell value 3|
If you would like to get a more sophisticated table, you may want to have a look at the Table Grid Editor plugin, which lets you create a table as a custom field.
I've already tried this before I raised a question here. I've enabled wiki style renderer to the description field which shows a table when I put in the above wiki notation (it actually looks more like separated rows with columns rather a table). But what I need is to auto-populate a table with column headers in the description field on the create screen. Earlier, I've auto-populated text in description field by putting javascript under the below path.JIRA administration --> Issues --> Fields --> Field Configurations --> Description [Wiki Style Renderer] --> Edit --> Edit Field Description: Description --> place the javascript under Description box here
In the same way, how do I modify this javascript to populate the description field with a table having column type headers such as: Column1 | Column2 | Column3 | Column4 | Column5 | Column6
I went through your first response and tried using a behaviour. I was successfully able to display text in Description field using a behaviour. But, I need to know the function to be used to populate a table in the description field. I have googled and all that I see is to how to CREATE TABLE in a database but I don't need that. All I need is to create a simple table with rows and columns having column headers so that users can input their details into the table.
I've also checked the Table Grid Editor plugin but I need this for the system field (Description) but not for custom fields in my case.
My reply didn't get posted when I tried to hit reply after typing the message here, so I replied under Suggest an Answer field
Have you tried the wiki notation of a table in conjunction with a behaviour? That way you may define one or more tables with the appropriate column headers for any project & issue type combinations.
I tried that, pls see the results above
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.