We are a small software development company. We have multiple customers that have one or more projects each. After a project is completed and billed its usually closed. For additional work we tend to open up a new project. There are some ongoing projects for support, etc. though.
We got a new fresh Jira 5 installation and Greenhopper.
I'm wondering what is the best idea to structure our Jira.
- One approach would be to create a project for each customer project. However with the time we would have a huge number of projects in our list.
- Another option would be to take the customer as the main entity and place the customer projects below that. The problem here is that I'm not sure what to use for grouping of the projects. Options could be components, custom fields, version, etc.
Currently the customer doesn't need access to his projects.
Whats the best practice to handle customers? Is there some built in functionality I'm missing?