For Linux Mint 18, Git command line, Bitbucket repository.
I have a remote Bitbucket repository that works fine on Windows 7. Today I've been trying to set up the same repo on Linux (Mint 18).
I tested the setup of my SSH certificates, et cetera. So far, so good, I think:
$ git remote -v
origin ssh://git@bitbucket.org:[bitbucketUserName/RepoName].git (fetch)
origin ssh://git@bitbucket.org:[bitbucketUserName/RepoName].git (push)
But IF I try to to pull from / push to that remote repository, THEN I receive the following message:
ssh: Could not resolve hostname bitbucket.org:[bitBucket/UserName/RepoName] Name or service not known
Fatal: Could not read from remote repository
SO I used ping to get the IP address of bitbucket.org, then inserted that IP address in the following command:
git push git@104.192.143.2:[bitBucketUserName/repoName].git
After a "continue?" prompt, git connected to the repo. (I was then told, correctly, that everything was up to date.)
WHY doesn't bitbucket.org work but an IP address does? How do I fix this?
Cheers & thanks,
Riley SFO