Hi there,
I'm hunting around to find some advice on setting up Jira. I'm working for a newish company (a few year's old) - and getting some of the internal processes set-up - focusing on IT. I want to set some standards for defining projects, epics, etc. I was looking for some advice on how people tackle this.
One of the challenges we have is that we are doing three things at once:
* Building to specific customer requirements
* Building products (with a set of features)
* Building a platform (with a set of capabilities)
A product features use part of one or more platform capabilities; requirements will produce product features. At the moment, our development is led by customer requirements; in the longer term, we plan to move most customer requirements to configuration and focus on developing product features - and developing those features will add or extend the platform capabilities. I need to be able to report on all three - customer, products, and platform covering progress, current backlog etc.
To deliver this, we're working across multiple teams - business analysts, data scientists, and multiple development teams; along with the product team that prioritises the work. I'm moving the team towards Agile - starting with monthly sprints (including the planning review cycle). My team doesn't own customer projects - these are owned by another team, although much of the work currently drops in to the development teams. Most features/capabilities will stretch across multiple teams.
The organisation uses Jira to manage all sorts of stuff (some HR, some IT). I can shape their use a bit, but I can't dictate it. In the short term, we're using Jira Cloud; we may migrate to our hosted version in the future.
In the midst of all of this, I need to set-up a basic Jira process to manage the work for the development teams, to report across all three levels (requirements, features, and capabilities). I need to make a decision around the project structure (ranging from one big project to a project for each customer, product, and platform).
This is a long question, with a lot of background. While an comprehensive answer would be much appreciated, it's unrealistic. So I'm mostly looking for somewhere I can go and get advice on best practice and start designing the system.
Thanks,
Geoff.