Hello Everybody,
I am currently working on creating a new structure for a 70+ people company and honestly I am struggling a bit with how to set it all up. Basically what I am lacking is the third layer of in the hierarchy and I just can't decide how to solve it.
For argument's sake let's say my team is concerned with development regarding product A. Most of our capability is within frontend development though, so we often need help from service teams (UX, backend, mobile apps etc.) to finalize the delivery. Now I could do this:
- EPIC: Large project such as new landing page (months)
- Story: All the features that go int an EPIC such as create new banner, new navigation, new content area etc. etc. (days to weeks)
- Task (not subtask): All the smaller components of a story related to different teams e.g. UX, Frontend, Apps, backend etc. (day to days)
Because I use tasks I now have to manually LINK all tasks to their respective story which is a major hassle to be honest... One could say "well use subtasks then" but that creates two issues:
- All of the teams (UX, Frontend, Apps, backend etc) are using different Jira-projects and subtasks can only refer to a parent in the same project
- Requires that I may drag all subtasks into a certain sprint since subtasks aren't visible in the backlog-view of a scrumboard
Now one possible solution would be to shift everything upwards, i.e. use Epics as Stories above and stories as tasks, but that would however imply some other drawbacks:
- Alot of Epics with in the project with maybe 3-4 tasks per Epic
- Putting in a placeholder Epic doesn't show in the backlog view of a scrumboard, hence hard to see items "up for grooming"
- There is no "larger initiative"-type, maybe one could use versions? I don't know, it could work but doesn't really do the job (versions aren't very visible, hard to get an overview picture)
At the moment I feel lik there is no optimal setup, but then I think "this problem must be extremely common, someone must have thought of a better solution" - well is there?
Thanks alot guys!