I can start Confluence manually via the script included (start-confluence.sh), or start it as a service. However, after the service starts, the first page takes 10-20 minutes to load. This did not occur with Debian 8 or even Ubuntu 17.04, which is based on Debian 9. This is a clean install of Debian 9, virtualized. I've allocated 8 processor cores, 4GB RAM, and 32GB SSD space to this VM.
I am a single user with ~20 pages. My automatic backups are about 12MB in size, just to give you an idea.
Running "top" on my Debian host, I can see that... pretty much nothing is happening CPU wise when the main page is not loading. Running a status check on confluence service during this time comes back with it being active.
Also, when will Confluence be able to use systemd for the service natively? I reported the issue months ago, with a fix, and still nothing.