I'm aware of some "heavyweight" answers to my question. I'm hoping to find a lightweight answer that requires only a single JIRA project.
Many issues make it into a Sprint. But not all do, even though they are worthy of discussion. For the latter we want allow detailed discussions with folks who are not part of the development team. And we want to be able to simply transition them to the "Done" state without ever including them in Sprint planning, preferably in a basic issues view.
Apologies if I'm missing something obvious but I don't see a way to do this. I can see the status in the right hand panel but I can't change it by clicking on a pencil icon the way I can other fields.
I realize this is not especially rigorous Agile but we don't need especial rigor for some of our projects. Some core teams are small and team members wear many hats. We don't want or need another JIRA project (Software of Service Desk) to carry out and track discussions with folks who aren't part of a development team.