I honestly read every article in the official help page and in the forum and watched every related video on this topic. Still, I can not produce the desired effect, which is to give certain user, a read-only access to our project in JIRA (which by the way, seems and it should be a very simple task!).
By read-only, I mean the user must not be able to edit, create, comment, etc.
The steps I have undertaken:
1. Created a group for read-only users (Read Only) and have added read-only users to the group (in this case only one of the already created users)
2. In the User Administration at Application access, I enabled Can sign in for the new group
3. I removed the read-only user from all other 'internal' groups such as the default 'jira-users' group, so only jira-read only group has been left
4. I created a Project Role called Read Only and added the group to it
And now the the most confusing for me part:
5. I added the Read Only Role to the project's default Software Permissions scheme
6. I granted permissions to Browse Projects permissions (from the forum I see that this is what users recommend for read-only access) to the Read Only project role
I also tried all kinds of other steps that I found in videos and forums.
Still, every time that I log-in as this user, which is only added to group 'jira-read only', I can edit, comment, create and etc.
When I try the permissions helper and put the user and for example Edit Issues permission name, I get that this user has the edit issues permissions, although he/she are only added to read-only group (for which I have taken all the described in the help page and forums steps to be accurately active)
Please help.
P.S No one should waste hours of their time just to create a read only access! Also, much of the information in the help pages in not up to date and detailed enough.
Thank you in advance!
Maggie